Saturday 16 February 2013

The QUEER DELIVERY BOY

Now there is a special incident I need to share with all of you here. It is the case of a very INTRIGUING and DIFFERENT Delivery Boy!

I was staying as a paying guest during the final year of my graduation. My PG aunty, Sud Aunty was a lovable soul(may she rest in peace). One evening it so happened that she decided to pay a brief visit to her distant cousin in the nearby neighbourhood.. So Sud Aunty left all of us five girls and a maid younger than us in-charge of her home, before going out for her social excursion.

The PG had a very convenient arrangement for both Aunty and us girls. She would lock her room only before leaving and the rest of the house was open to us. However our rooms were towards the south-end of the house. Whenever Aunty was away we would sit in the drawing-room from where we could see the main gate and the main door of the house. The room just had a television and a sofa. the only telephone of the house was locked inside Aunty's room.

As the evening was progressing accompanied by our mirth and languor, there was heard a door-bell at around 5 in the evening. All of us pushed aside the curtains and saw a strange sight.

There at the gate was a young boy in a decent three-piece suit, holding a huge human-sized flower arrangement!

All the other girls turned around and gave a suspicious look to my friend Sheena and me. We were the ones who got such unwanted suitors at our door.

"I don't know, who he is!" said Sheena vehemently.
I too feigned ignorance but I knew that boy to be one from my gang at school.
'What's happening? ' I thought.
'Just day before I met him with the others. He was fine then. He never looked besotted or so much in love.' I was quickly sifting through my thoughts because I had to handle this or else if Sud Aunty walked in on this, I would be DEAD MEAT!
I decided to go out and confront Mr G, my friend.
"Relax everybody I'll handle this." saying this I quickly exited the room.

"Hey G! What the hell are you doing here?" I demanded.
"Hey don't fret Suditi, I have got a delivery for Sheena."
"Sheena! Who sent it?"
"Chill buddy, just send her outside" said Mr G, nonchalantly.
"Are you Crazy? If Aunty sees you outside and then Sheena too, then both of you have had it!"
"Look you know us and our methods. Aunty is NOT at home, we both know!"
'We, BOTH!', so the other one has to be Mr V. In my group only these two people knew where I stayed as a paying guest.

Meanwhile my friends were getting impatient and nervous inside the house. Ritu the sole fire-brand feminist amongst us decided to take matters into her hands.

I saw  her rushing outside, towards us.
"Now you've had it Mr G! If you utter a word of knowing me..." I threatened him.
"What's the matter here?" demanded Ritu.
"I don't know. This guy's not leaving!"
"I have a delivery for Ms Sheena." said Mr G. I wanted to kill him then and there.
"Let's go Ritu, we don't have to get involved. He'll leave on his own." said I, almost down on my knees.
"No wait!"
"How do you know Sheena?" demanded Ritu.
"I am not the one giving her these flowers. Some customer had ordered them to be delivered only to her."
"Give them to me!"
"NO. Only her."
Oh my God, I did not like where all that was going!
"What kind of a delivery boy are you, anyway? Wearing a three-piece suit?"
"I am the owner." said Mr G without batting an eyelid.
My heart sank!
"What is the name of your shop?"
"Khoobsurat Florists, Sector 34. You can see the card."
"I think we should not stand outside and talk to him for so long." I quickly interjected."Let's go inside Ritu."
"No! You go inside and I'll keep an eye on him. Tell Pooja to call the police."
'Oh great! This was what I needed.'
I left with nothing else to do. I showed Mr G my clenched fist and signaled him to leave.
Mr G on the other hand smiled and winked at me!
That was the last straw for Ritu. She jumped over the wall to our neighbours' house and banged their front door.
Mr G and I looked puzzled. She shouted for the police to be called at once, as soon as Mrs Smita our lovely doe-eyed neighbour opened the door.
Mr G left the flower arrangement standing at our gate and ran for his life!
I was all the more worried!

The police came to our PG  after a few minutes made inquiries in the neighbourhood. It scoured the area for the miscreants but there was no sign of them. They told us that they had decided to look up the florist and would get back to us.
Sud Aunty had returned in the meanwhile. She was all praises for Ritu and me after hearing of the whole incident. I on the other hand was dying a death with every moment that passed!
'What if the police trace Mr G and Mr V to me in the PG?! What shall I do?!'
I appealed to the Almighty with every religious bone and muscle in my body, to SAVE ME!

The police returned after excruciatingly long two hours to report that there did exist a Khoobsurat Florist in Sector 34. Its owner did have a young son whom they had brought along!
'Oh no!' thought I ready to sprint.

He was to my relief, not Mr G!
However the owner's son did say that two boys had purchased the huge flower arrangement from him in the evening but he could not recall their names or faces.

'Thank You God!' was all I could to think.

Hence the case of the QUEER DELIVERY BOY was dropped.

Those who know me, they know who Mr G and Mr V are.

For others: The sensitive content of the post does not allow me to name any names!;)

No comments:

Post a Comment