Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine's Day!

Oh well so that day of LOVE is here!

"Okay Moonz be ready, I'll pick you up at noon sharp!" This was Vipul my husband now but not then.

Then we were eighteen year old love-birds. Vipul was more in love with me than I was with him then. This is true probably even now.

 He had celebrated umpteen number of V-days with a variety of girls and I poor soul had had not even one such experience in my dull, dreary and practical life.

I was happy to meet my best friend who had convinced me to be his beloved somehow. However I suffered from flashes of amnesia where I forgot that I had finally accepted Vipul's proposal.


In the most appropriate of manners, Vipul picked me up from the street behind my paying guest accommodation. He got off the car, opened the door for me, got me seated and took off. It had not escaped my eye that he was dressed for the occasion in his best.

"Oh God! This does not look well!"  I had a sinking feeling in my heart. I would always lose my beans whenever I was out of my comfort zone in the past. The rage started building up within me.

Vipul ignorant of my inner turmoil, began the ritual of impressing me. I can still put a wager on the fact that the poor guy must have tried and succeeded  with every single girl in his life through  the very same method that he tried with me that day!

 However I was possessed!!

"Here darling, I love you!" saying this he handed me a big bunch of red roses.
"Thanks" said I grimacing as if in acute pain.
"My Valentine's Day card... " said he picking up the card from the backseat.
I too gave him my meager token of love, a very basic Valentine day card.

"I hope he hasn't got any teddys or chocolates for me.....I am not a kid!" I had a crushing feeling with that pile of love already on my lap.

Suddenly Vipul stopped driving the car and halted at a secluded spot.
"Oh God! Don't tell me now that he wants to get intimate with me.......in his car!!" It had to end!
Vipul leaned over to my side.....and that was that!
I opened the door, bolted out of the car and started stomping in the opposite direction.

"Moooonz....Moonz!" Vipul came running up to me. "What's wrong darling?"

First things first, I hated the word 'Darling', couldn't he call me 'babe(I looked like one!)' or 'love'?

"Why did you lean over to my side?"
"I needed something from the dash board and you wouldn't have found it! Let's get back to the car everyone's looking."
"If you are so damned scared of everybody then why are you with me?"
"Alright I am sorry! Let's go, PLEASE!"

After driving around for a while Vipul again  got back in to action. He sang some stupid, mushy Hindi romantic song for me. He told me to close my eyes and bring my hands forward.

Oh no! That crushing feeling had returned again and with it my anger.

I felt him slipping something on to my ring finger.
"Moonz will you...."
"What the hell is this?" said I opening my eyes."I am just testing waters here and not committing!"
I took out the ring and threw it out of the window!
Vipul was flabbergasted and speechless. He stopped the car and got out to look for the ring. It was after 40-odd minutes that the ring was found.
I sat in the car all the time and he was out of it all the time.

After two hours of convincing me I finally accepted the ring but refused the commitment.








But as you can see I still have the ring and I uphold the uncommitted commitment even after 12 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment